Tuesday, April 15, 2008

In the Spotlight-Kenny


I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Kenny, a 13 year old young man who has been coming to Granny’s House for about a year. As we sat down for the official “interview” I knew I had my work cut out for me. On top of being a polite and bright member of the Granny’s House family, Kenny is (as his brother Anthony puts it) “a character!”

Upon meeting Kenny, the first thing most people notice is his contagious smile and witty humor (maybe that’s why it’s hard to stay mad at him for too long!). If he’s not telling a joke, or making a funny sarcastic comment--somethings wrong!

Kenny participates in a number of our programs, including Son’s of the King, CALEB the Science Club, and our Sunday Night Study tutoring program. He also attends The Crossing church, and said he enjoys the Junior High class and small group (especially hanging out with Justin and Travis-two of the classroom leaders). He also likes meeting new people, and when asked “Why do you go to church?” he said “Cause I need some Jesus in my heart”

Kenny plans on attending Mizzou when he is older, and hopes to be either a professional football or basketball player, or an actor. His “hero” is his father, who “brought me into this world, and tells me positive ways to handle situations when I’m in trouble.”

This summer, Kenny will be attending KAA with 25 other Granny’s House kids. It will be his first time attending, and he’s excited about going because he’s heard that it’s fun, and that the counselors are funny and crazy. (Granny’s House staff is convinced that he would make an incredible counselor himself one day!).

Among “Kenny’s Favorites”, are Kirk Franklin music, dancing, rapping, food and of course...girls! We are so proud of the young man Kenny is becoming, and can’t wait to see all the incredible things God has in store for his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment