Tuesday, March 8, 2011

PEOPLE STORIES, Part 4 - Caritas Habimana




Her presence is tall and commanding, but her voice is low and sweet. She once taught children at the French Embassy in Rwanda, but now Caritas Habimana, or “Cari,” as most people call her, is “Auntie” to the dozens of African refugee children at Granny’s House, and friend, counselor, translator, and job-finder for their parents. She speaks seven languages and every African refugee child’s teacher and principal has Cari’s number on speed dial in their phones. She plays an invaluable role in her church, Agape Fellowship, and the Granny’s House staff would be “lost” without her wisdom and insight as we continue to weave the refugee children into the fabric of Granny’s House. Caritas recently sat down with me for an interview and below, are a few excerpts from that conversation:

GP: You always have a fire going... I see it in your eyes and I see it in your smile. Cari, what lights that fire in your heart? What is the source of that fire?

CARI: I think God is with me... I’m never alone. I can feel his hands; He’s there whenever I need His help. Before I call anybody, I call God. That’s why I am so happy.

GP: But life was not always like that for you... what was it like in Rwanda, before you came to Columbia?

CARI: They killed and killed and killed... blood, bombings, machetes, and bodies. I saw it all during the war... It felt like the end of the world. There was no life after seeing children being killed... neighbors, mothers and old people. Even now, I’m asking myself, “How can I be alive?”

GP: So, what’s the answer to that? Why do you think you lived?

CARI: I don’t know the answer to that... maybe angels were carrying me. I don’t know... for me, it’s not information, it’s my relationship with God.

GP: Now I see the reason for the passion and the fire that keeps you going... You do so much for the African community... how do you do it? If you had a job title, what would it be?

CARI: I don’t know... I don’t have an office. I just have my cell phone and it’s ringing every minute...I write everything down in my agenda... My day begins at 7:45 in the morning and I have appointments all day... meetings at schools, after school programs with kids, going to the doctor with parents...

I read their to mail them; I provide transportation and interpret for them... I take all the children to their school assessments and I help discipline them... I help the parents talk to their children and teach them how important it is to show the children affection. Sometimes I have Bible study and choir at church in the evenings, and usually finish and go to bed at 11 at night. I do all this because of the love... the children’s love for me is like a vitamin that goes down into my body. And that’s good because Idon’t have time to eat (giggles).

GP: Cari, I really believe that your job is more important than the President’s... you are helping shape lives for eternity!

I could have talked to Caritas Habimana for hours, and actually wanted to. Our conversation was dotted with interruptions, again and again, as she fielded calls from kids, teachers, a friend who needed her to explain why someone had just handed them two dollars. Cari’s life is full of Life and Love and reminds me of this promise: “No one’s ever seen or heard anything like this, Never so much as imagined anything quite like it - What God has arranged for those who love him.” -1 Corinthians 2:8, 9 (The Message Bible)

I left our meeting feeling like I had just finished reading a really good book - the kind you highlight, underline, and can’t wait to share with a friend! -Granny Pam