Thursday, May 7, 2009

Extreme Makeover…


I've always wondered what it would be like to be on one of those cable television home makeover shows. Well, today I got to find out.

As I walked into the newly renovated “Learning Loft” at Granny's House for the very first time, “Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!” just kept spilling out of my mouth. “Oh MYYYYYYYYY gosh… OHHHHHHHHH my gosh,” then came one long “Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!”

I had trouble taking it all in: the new chalkboard painted onto the wall, the brand new computers and printer… the well-stocked bookshelf, the posters, the dry-erase board… every single thing that was on our “wish list,” with lots of extras tucked around every corner. I finally plopped down onto the new cherry-red beanbag chair and laughed hysterically. I simply couldn't believe the transformation.

Then I stood up, flung my hands into the air and shouted “THANK YOU GOD!” For the past year, we've been helping Granny's House kids with school projects in any empty corner we could find, often using our crowded storage room amidst bags of rice, cans of tomato sauce, and reams of computer paper. We dreamed of the day when we'd have an uncluttered space where we could help the kids with their school work. Today, that dream came true. (See our Friday, October 24, 2008 blog: “The Learning Loft”).

Ashton Honeycutt and her S-MSTA (Student-Missouri State Teachers Association) colleagues and faculty advisors did a beautiful job of transforming our former storage room into an “effective learning environment.” They raised the money, planned, shopped, and came to Granny's House this weekend to transform our bare-bones room into a cheerful place for kids to learn. I can't wait to see the kids' reactions when they first see their brand new “Learning Loft!” -Granny Pam