Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I still remember my first day- Jon Moe




Jon Moe. A tall, lanky, blonde kid who was just beginning his college career at Mizzou. He was an instant hit with the kids, and for sure, one of the most effective male volunteers we've ever had!

I’ll never forget the day that I stood watching Jon from the dining room window as He arrived at Granny’s House. What I saw melted my heart! As Jon got out of his car, one of the kids ran, with outstretched arms, to meet him. Jon greeted that kid by picking him up, swinging him around just like a lot of dads do with their small children. For years, something like this happened every time Jon came to Granny’s House. Here are some of Jon's memories from his days as Granny's House Volunteer:

What Do You Remember About Your Time at Granny’s House?

“I remember the first time that one of the kids called me ‘Daddy.’ I was both pleased and proud, but also deeply grieved. I only volunteered one day a week, but apparently even that much consistent male presence classified me as a father figure.”

“I also remember picking up one of the kids and taking them to Cosmo Park with another volunteer on a Saturday. It was so much fun to see how excited this kid was. They had been looking forward to the outing for the whole week and talked about it all the next week.”

How Does Volunteering at Granny's House Impact Lives?

“It’s especially important for men to volunteer and to provide at least a taste of what having a father is like. You may just be able to point these precious kids to their "Real Father." Bringing joy to a child's heart is one of the most enjoyable things I think we can do this side of heaven!”

What Are You Doing Now?

After graduating from Mizzou, I moved to Minnesota to work as an engineer. I am married and have a toddler son…

Do You Have A Prayer For Granny’s House?

“I pray that God will continue to use Granny's House to radically change lives - the lives of the volunteers, the kids, and their families. I pray that Granny's House will continue to be salt and light, spread liberally, and shining brightly in the projects of Columbia…”